Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 19: Settling In


The plants don't seem any the worse for wear from their transplanting. I do see a slight mottling on the leaves of one of the plants. Maybe it's missing something. Hard to see in the photo.

Two things on my mind right now - getting these guys some calcium to prevent blossom end rot and when to start fertilizing. I've opted not to go organic this time around. I have spent too much already, and I already have some inorganic fertilizer on hand. I will surely try organic in the future, though.

The fertilizer box recommends first fertilizing 2 to 3 weeks after planting, which would be right around... now. The recommends fertilizing again every 7 to 14 days. Kind of a wide range! I think I'll try 7 days, as the growing medium I'm using has pretty much nothing for nutrients - it's just there to hold the plants up. I won't fertilize the plants that are still in the peat pots, doing want them growing out of control just yet!


UPDATE: Fertilized! There's no calcium in the fertilizer, so I still need that. Alternatively, I could mash up some eggshells in the pots. I'd have to clean them out very well so as not to have leftover albumin that might attract bugs. Or I could just go get some lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment