Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flower Power

The dandelions were nutritious. Not good, but good for you. I suppose the way to eat them is to smother them in bacon or something, but it would have been more exciting if they tasted good. The Mrs. sauted them in olive oil with a little balsamic vinegar, garlic, green onion (from the garden!) and wild garlic. So bitter! Like spinach, but far more unpleasant. Oh well. I'd like to try again if we can figure out how to de-bitter them. Maybe they're better raw. I ate a few in the yard while harvesting, those were somewhat better.

Today's harvest from the lawn was violets. Making violet syrup. About a cup and a half of the flowers. Should net me a pint of syrup.


Step 1, clean off the flowers gently, then cover them with boiling distilled water. Let sit for 24 hours. Then add lemon juice and sugar and boil it down. Here's where I am so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment