Saturday, September 8, 2012

2012 Recap

Pulled the garlic in early July. Much better bulbs than last year, I think plant around Halloween is a good plan.
Garlic harvest
My glorious pepper harvest. Also have gotten some Long Thin Cayenne and Pepperoncini is close to ready. Habaneros haven't fruited yet.
Peppers clockwise from 12 o'clock - Jalapenos, banana, Hungarian wax, yellow
cayenne, Hungarian wax, Serrano, Anaheim
Picked 40 Jalapenos in one batch, more are growing.
Jalapenos
Made Jalapeno poppers. Delicious!
Homemade Jalapeno Poppers
Jalapenos have done very well in 2 gallon plastic pails, as have the Hungarian wax peppers.
Jalapeno hedgerow
Basil did well in 2 liter bottles, did great in the part shady corner of the back side garden. I pulled all the plants at once since it was getting a bit overgrown and shading my beans. 3/4 of a pound of leaves, made 3 quarts of pesto. 

Only two of my ground cherry plants came up. But I got a number of fruit. Very tasty, be nice to have enough for a pie next year.
Top: Sweet basil, Bottom: Ground cherries
Elderberries are growing well, but not much fruit. Here was the whole harvest.
Elderberries
Got a nice haul of tomatoes, I'm very pleased with how well the tomatoes did at the Quaker community garden. Got a LOT of Amish paste tomatoes, and a much better crop of Cherokee purple than I got at home - I don't think the backyard garden gets anywhere near as much sun as the community garden. Tigerella and Early Girl did pretty well too (got the EG as a gift). Hopefully next year I will get a bigger plot and can grow more. I never had enough at one time to do serious canning, though I made sauce and tomato juice, plus peeled and froze some of them.
Tomatoes, zucchini, and other random junk

No comments:

Post a Comment