Sunday, March 19, 2017

A Complaint and a Screw Up

The new recipe suffers from the same issue with the butter-dough geometry that annoys me. This one is even worse - the butter would be outside the dough. Well, whatever, I rolled it out larger than they suggested.

I'm doing the three day prep, that'll actually work nicely with us getting fresh croissants for dinner tomorrow and then somewhat less fresh croissants for breakfast Tuesday. I think I might even use them for lunch bread. It's going to be a mixed bag of lunch breads this week! Today I made the normal no knead dough recipe but I just wadded the dough into little balls, flattened them out a bit and baked them for a while. They made amazing slider rolls. Crusty, but not too much, nice light crumb. Is there nothing the no knead recipe can't do?

Anyway, my big boo boo today in the lamination was to not rotate 90° on the second roll and tri-fold. Ooops. I suppose it's not hyper-critical. That plus the bread flour dough make two strikes already. Hopefully I will finish flawlessly.

Plus side - didn't see any evidence of butter streaks near the surface this time. Cool. Also used Finlandia butter, not sure if it will make a huge difference from Keller's.
Dough rolled out larger than the recipe called for

My butter "square"

Bonus pic of no knead slider rolls from standard no knead dough

No comments:

Post a Comment