Sunday, September 10, 2017

Less Hydration

Inspired by the lower hydration King Arthur flour recipe, I adjusted the recipe I have been following to the lower hydration, using 465g of flour instead of 418g. Anticipating the opportunity to give some away, I thought I would make two batches. After kneading the first batch and finding it very dry, I came to the horrific realization that I hadn't added the poolish. Doh! I added it in and folded the heck out of the dough, hopefully it will be decently incorporated. I was going to try a different hydration with the second batch, but with the uncertainty of the late poolish add, I figured I'd just go ahead and make the same hydration but properly this time. Will be interesting to see if there are any differences between the two final products.

UPDATE:

Ok, so, interesting. Despite being far less hydrated than the last batch, the lame did a poor job again. I tried two with the lame and it stuck to the dough badly. Maybe spray it with cooking spray before? Huh. I did the other 4 with a serrated sharp bread knife and that worked better, though not flawlessly. Curiously the first batch of dough weighed less than the second. Perhaps more stuck to the bowl, perhaps measurements not quite right (275g per loaf vs 315g). First batch on the right, second on the left.

Rising
None of them worked out idea, and it was pretty dense. But the crust was crusty and the inside was chewy, so not bad. One nice find, parchement paper + oven rack = nice no fuss shaping. Also a side note used semolina on a couple, will see how I like that.

Final result

No comments:

Post a Comment