Well, another sub par year. Got started late, not a lot of redundancy. I do have a nice batch of Roma tomatoes in the area right by the front patio stairs. Had some zucchini, but they died out. Got a grand total of 3 *sad trombone*. I think critters got at them. Maybe mice. Maybe rabbits! I definitely saw a rabbit escaping from the area when I rounded a corner. The start up was late, I tried planting seeds directly in dirt and did not get a solid sprouting, sadly. Peppers were pretty disappointing, but I got a few New Mexico types growing. Should get a couple pounds. Miraculously grew some huckleberries from seed. Got a couple plants. Not a huge harvest, but been picking and freezing, saved up about a pint, will make something with them. Also grew something called an orange variety, they have a distinct taste, but not very pleasant. I wonder if there is a use for them. I've just been letting them go. Couple eggplants grew, but I don't see any activity that looks like fruit. I abandoned garlic, weeds overtook them, I just harvested a couple days ago. Just terrible. Small heads, some broke apart on harvest. The Jerusalem artichoke patch is booming, I will harvest some soon, see what I get. I planted none, I did nothing, not even watering.
I got some more strawberries, and bought a row cover and frame to keep the varmints out. That seemed to work. I got a few berries. Also had some eaten off by something. Perhaps need to clamp down the row cover a bit better to protect them. Maybe do better next year. I saw a bunch of blueberries, but they got got by something before I got any. The "serviceberries" are not doing anything like a berry. *shrug*
I think the big take away is that I'm going to put a lot more effort in next year and see what I can get. Thinking about a few things, like raised beds (the big metal ones). The row covers did a pretty good job with the strawberries, maybe see how that goes if I expand it. Maybe make some nice removable panels to keep deer out of the stuff along the driveway. Anyway, will make another post called 2027 planning that will keep track of what I'm thinking..
| Huckleberries |

No comments:
Post a Comment