Tuesday, March 5, 2019

New Year, New Resolution

My eternal battle cry - "I'll do better next year!" Well, here it is next year. And so far I've kept my promise. The seeds are sprouting on wet paper towels as we speak. Then we had a snow storm. So the peas have to wait a little while before I can plant them. I am a bit behind in planting the sproutlings and firing up the underground garden. My nice long fibreglass planters are still sitting on the deck with last years dead weeds in them. But I'm still ahead of the game.

Things to do this year:

  1. Landscape fabric - weeds make the whole garden experience a chore instead of pleasant. I need to cough up a little cash to keep them more in check.
  2. Fertilize - I feel like if I keep the weeds down and the fertilizing up, I'll get a much bigger harvest.
  3. Diversify - I get bored with monoculture. That seems to be how things go at the community garden, it starts with a few different veggies, then ends with an unending stream of tomatoes. This year will try to get cukes, beans, kale, and potatoes going at the garden. Plus the old reliable zucchini of course.
  4. Potatoes - Plant them early, experiment with a potato tower.
  5. Garlic - I love having garlic in the garden, but I blew it off last fall. Will do better this fall.
  6. Raised beds - They're so good! I need at least do a prototype at the garden.
  7. Pruning - Tomatoes do so much better if properly pruned. I need to do this!
  8. Kale square - I loved having so much fresh kale. I need to revitalize my crummy 3' x 3' kale patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment