At any rate, I decided to do baguette again but this time to use the technique of pain d'epi to make a holiday wreath - make the loaf into a ring and then take the scissors to it and make a nice looking loaf that way. We'll see how it turns out.
Also wanted to take the opportunity to wrap up everything I learned about baguette making. Here are the key points.
- Recipe - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-baguettes-and-stuffed-baguettes-recipe
- I used 260g of water in Oct/Nov. More water did not make for bigger holes in the crumb and made it a huge pain to knead.
- I prefer pointed ends in the baguette loaf.
- Use a razor blade to make deep long slashes.
- For Pain d'Epi cut deep into the loaf with scissors.
- Preheat the oven with a small metal pan in there. Throw ice cubes in that after putting the bread in and just before closing the oven door.
- Before placing the loaves in the oven, spray them with the sprayer from the sink so they're good and soaked.