Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Plans: 2022

 So I've got a rough idea of what I'll be planting this season. Here's a quick sketch.

2022 garden plan

To flesh this out a bit, the garlic was planted last fall and is still growing. Honestly not doing too great, about a dozen bulbs, though I planted quite a bit more. When that is done and harvested I may put in some sugar snap peas later in the season. 

The raspberries are volunteers. Looks like quite a vigorous patch. We'll see if the chipmunks let me have any. Might not be them stealing them. Not certain.

Zucchini - I added some compost there. They did ok last season and I think they'll do very well this year. They are already springing up and I just planted the seeds. 

Squash will either be hubbard, butternut, or zucchino rampicante (like a zucchini variant that does not have hollow stems and does not succomb to vine borers). If I can clear out some of the old rock garden behind the house I may plant some more of these back there.

Sunflowers are really nice, spruce up the house nicely and make the birds happy. Also a tribute to Ukraine! I need to dig this bit up before I can plant.

Kale will be from my own seeds that I saved from previous years. Kale does really well. In fact I got some that sprung up in last years bed that I transplanted to the Kale/Long Beans patch in the back. In that patch long beans are against the fence of chicken wire with kale in the front.

Cucumbers got a few varieties, mostly pickling types. Maybe lactoferment them if I get a nice haul. Tried that over the winter and they turned out pretty great.

Tomatoes I have planted most of the numbered ones. Brandywine is all but dead, I have some replacements, we'll see how they do. Overflow and extras in the bed along the driveway, will plant 4-6 in that. Also will plant some cherry tomatoes in pots on the front porch. Varieties I've got - Hungarian, Roma (only one of these came up - disappointing!), Beefsteak, A Grappoli D'Invierno (didn't even order these, just a free gift with my seed purchase. They are BOOMING!), Cherokee Purple (best tasting), Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, Spoon (tiny tomatoes, like berry sized apparently), Black Cherry, Barry's Crazy Cherry, and a couple others. Should make for an interesting variety. This year I am getting my act together and getting the cages up early, so they should do better. Right? Maybe?

Green beans did very well last year.

Small brick planters near the house - two of them have flowers, peonies and lilies that I want to leave. They don't require any effort and come back every year. The other 5 are in varying states of occupied, 2 just have weeds that can easily be pulled, two have move of a lush overgrowth, and one has the stump of a huge old bush. Realistically that one is a lost cause without a ton of effort. Anyway, these will be home to some herbs. Tomatoes didn't do all that well there, lets see how herbs do.

In the back I will have hot peppers in buckets. I kept 7 or 8 over the winter and they all seem to have survived, though some barely clung to life. We'll see how they do compared to the seedlings. Jalapenoes were the ones I overwintered, and I should get a nice haul of those. Couple other varieties, we'll see.

On the side of the house I am going to build a planter with some old beams that were originally part of a fenced in backyard garden. That fell into disuse since there really was not enough sunlight. It's about 12 or 13 years old, and one of the posts fell over, so I need to take it down and clear it all out. Anyway, this will provide 10-11 posts about 8' long that I can use to build a raised bed on the side. Again this is a bit of a high effort project, so we'll see how far it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment