Saturday, June 18, 2022

Garlic Harvest!

The garlic is done. I haven't pulled them yet, and honestly they don't look too fantastic, so this might be a bit of a disappointment. Lets go see. 

Well, pretty paltry harvest. Most years I get mostly small bulbs, but two or three that look like they might have come from a supermarket. This year not so much. On the plus side, there's plenty for eatin'. I think I will make something with what the garden has produced so far tonight - garlic and kale.

Garlic Harvest 6-18-2022

One of the tomatoes decided the growing straight was boring and tried to introduce a fancy curve. Well, I don't like that one bit so I tied it up.
Left: Before, Right: After

So I've determined that I have about a bed and a half available to plant _something_ in the beds beside the driveway. Now that the garlic is pulled, there is a full free one. The kale plot closest to the street only is half planted. I only have tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries still in pots. The peppers seem to do very well in pots, so I'm going to put tomatoes and strawberries in the leftover space.

Things to keep in mind when I replant:
  • Put some bonemeal in the hole.
  • Plant DEEP. As deep as I can go.
  • Put in stakes or cages now, when it's easy.
  • Hit them with some water right away, so they don't wilt.
  • Transplant quickly! It's not too hot of a day, so I don't think they will wilt too badly, but lets not risk it.
I have a number of plants that are pretty healthy still in pots. Like a foot or a foot and a half tall already. I picked the largest/healthiest to move.


Still to do:

  • Weed the bean/kale bed in the back. The kale is shading out the beans! Gotta thin it. Time for some more kale in my diet.
  • The Barry's Crazy Cherry is very limp, it never really recovered from the transplant. I may pull it and put something different there.
  • Plant some zucchino rampicante. Insurance against vine borers.
  • Fill up every bucket and big pot I have and start some basil and herbs. Transplant what large tomatoes I can. See what I have for peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment