Sunday, June 12, 2022

Some Repotting

 So I've got two locations that I refer to as "compost heaps". The first is a black plastic container in the near back yard that mostly gets grass clippings and weeds pulled elsewhere in the yard. That does a pretty good job of turning that stuff into compost. I have not been truly scientific about it, it doesn't have the right ratios of "green" to "brown" materials, but it make a nice rich puffy soil. Out back further is a pile near the tree line of mostly grass clippings and overflow waste when the black container is full. Also makes nice fluffy compost. Today I pretty much emptied the black plastic compost heap filling up various containers, some two gallon buckets I got from work (originally used to carry pre-shelled hard boiled eggs), some plant pots, and the bottom half of a recycling container that got sliced up the side and didn't work anymore for its intended purpose.

White Powder is bone meal.

I pulled one garlic plant that was clearly done.It is pretty small, but usable.


At this point, the remaining plants are running low on places to go.I think I will try to fill a few more containers to try to salvage as many peppers as possible. I do have some room in the kale bed - I could put a few tomatoes there. Also the garlic is almost done, I could put a few there. If history is any guide, the ones I transplant last generally produce hardly any tomatoes.

I decided to see if I could make a comparison picture of the tomatoes since I transplanted them and ran into a picture from last year.


There's a bit to unpack here. Firstly, They seem to have put on a lot of growth in just 11 days! The weather has been alternately sunny and hot then rain, so plenty of light and plenty of water. But compared to two weeks earlier last year they seem positively anemic. Last year I don't have an exact date for when I started the seeds, but it was about the first week of March. This year it was the second week of April. Also I did not prune last year, or put up cages even. By the end of the season they were draped over the side of the planter and not very happy looking. This year I am savagely pruning. And I was good about getting cages up.


2 comments: