Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Progress

 So things have kind of taken off the last few days. I failed to properly harden off the Brandywine tomato I planted the other day and it has since passed away. Sorry lil plant! It may be cold to speak of replacing it so soon, but I have a couple others that fared better. So the #8 spot from my garden layout map will remain Brandywine.

I had another mishap with a Black cherry tomato - the stem snapped in high wind. I don't have too many of them, so it was a disappointment, but I decided to take a chance on it anyway and bury it well above the break point and see if maybe it would survive. It was touch and go the first day, but by the second day it looked pretty good. I think it will make it. But for added confusion I placed it in spot #5 (was labelled Cherokee Purple, I thought I'd put on of those there.

TL - Dead Brandywine, BR - snapped stem Black cherry!

The TL Hungarian is flourishing. A lot of Hungarian starts did really well! 

The zucchini has come up very fast, seems like I was waiting a long time last year for the sprouts to appear. Not so this year. I think it's much warmer than it was last year. I have 6 hills of zucchini. 5 of them were sourced from leftover topsoil, the last was compost that had been sitting for... 5 years? The compost looks much darker. I think once the sprouts get a little bigger I will put down some straw.



Cucumbers are sprouting. Again, pretty fast. Looking good so far.

Cukes

The overwintered peppers are doing a lot better, really bursting out in green leaves. Even have a few flowers already. The old leaves have not dropped off yet, so they do look a little odd.


Peppers planted in a reused 2 liter plastic bottle. I imagine they need a bit more space! These were grown from seed.


The garlic is getting ready to be harvested. I'm not too confident that I'll get very much.


The raspberry bed seems very happy. Although calling it a raspberry bed suggests it was planned and I did any work at all on it. I did not.


The long beans and kale are doing well. All the transplanted kale survived. And the beans are really popping. Covered it all with chicken wire.


These are Spoon Tomatoes. The tomatoes they grow are tiny. More fun than productive.


I need to pick 4-6 tomato plants to put in the driveway bed. Not sure which. Lots to choose from! Will also probably put a few in buckets as well.


Strawberries are flowering as well. Last year I think they were starved for water and they definitely need to be repotted or planted somewhere. The berries they produced were tiny and not tasty. Been generously watering for now as I consider where they might go.

No comments:

Post a Comment