Saturday, July 23, 2022

Some Nice Harvest

First, I was thinking about things that went right and things that went horribly wrong this season. So I thought I'd try to come up with the top five things in each case. So here goes.

Top Five Things That Went Right in 2022
  1. Pruning Tomatoes - Tomatoes are huge and swimming in tomatoes. 
  2. bt for the zucchini - I think half of them would be gone by now if not for the bt.
  3. Overwintering Peppers - I harvested tons of  peppers already whereas the ones seeded this year nothing so far.
  4. Fertilizing - I think I could do more, and maybe I should go with an organic. But miracle gro has helped a lot I think. I've done it more consistently this year.
  5. Constant Watering - It has been so sunny and hot, but I bought a good hose and have kept up with watering. Sometimes twice a day!

Top Five Things That Went Wrong in 2022
  1. Not Planting Earlier - This is the biggie. If I had started earlier
  2. Cucumbers in Stone Raised Beds - They did not like it.I've gotten a few, but since the first deer hit they have never looked green and healthy.
  3. Deer - Not too much I can do about that. They destroyed half the cukes. They have nibbled at beans and tomatoes.
  4. Transplanting - I have not kept up with putting plants in better containers as much as I should.Some plants have terrible soil in their containers, and frequent watering and fertilizing only partially makes up for this.
  5. Not Clearing Space - I could be growing so much more if I cleared more space. The side strip, the old rock garden, lots of spots could be producing good stuff for me!
Despite the various problems, this has been a phenomenal year, and I'm only just starting to get tomatoes. I've enjoyed keeping track of zucchini production (22.5 pounds so far!).

The Spoon Tomatoes are starting to ripen. Barely enough to taste, but very tomato-y flavor.

Spoon Tomato - full sized!

The A Grappoli D'Inviernos are ripening as well. Here's a cluster. Taste was nothing to write home about, but they seem prolific.

A Grappoli D'Invierno

Is this Oregano? I'm not sure. It is popping up in the planter I planted Oregano in...

Oregano
Dill is up!

Dill
Lettuce Leaf Basil.

Lettuce Leaf Basil
Peppers looking happy.

Cayenne

Genovese Basil. Need to come up with a plan for it because I want Pesto!

Genovese Basil

Next steps:
  • I want to plant some cucumbers in the back in pails. Plants seem very lush in the back on the patio. I think there's plenty of sun, but enough shade that it's slightly cooler.
  • Figure out a spot for the Basil. thin it out a bit, perhaps in the ground, perhaps in containers. Maybe try a variety of sized to see which works best.
  • Repot the peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment