Thursday, July 14, 2022

We Got Beans Baby!

 So I harvested the jalapeños. The biggest plant provided 266g (9.3oz), all of them together made 449g (15.8 oz, almost a pound!).

Jalapeño harvest

Pretty Jalapeño

Couple Cherokee Purples growing to nice size! Can't wait til they're ripe.



Bean harvest was 424g (15 oz).


Pretty beans

Also a big ol' haul of kale.

I also went a little nuts this year in an attempt to save my poor zucchini from vine borers. I purchased some bt (pesticide, but organic) and a large hypodermic needle. I had gone out earlier today and pulled off a few dead/dying/yellowing leaves and discovered some of the buggers. Some notes: 
  • They were smaller than I expected. The smallest was like 1 cm long and about as big around as the head of a pin. I think the "surgery" idea for control of these pests would not work that well - one that I found was waaaaaay up the stem, and would have been hard to find something that small. The biggest one I found was maybe 2cm, big around as a small pea.
  • I have a LOT of plants for the injection approach. I injected a lot of stems, but I'm sure I did not get them all.
  • I whipped up 2 liters of the stuff. I think I went over the recommended amount of bt per 2 liters. When I was done injecting, I poured the extra over outside of the stems.
  • Need to repeat weekly.
  • I will pile up some dirt over the lower part of the stems. Perhaps new roots form.
  • If this saves my zucchini I will be a very happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment