Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Sandwichspace 17 and 18

 So I saw this recipe online that hinted that it might produce something flaky like a croissant without all that pesky croissant effort. I have definitely tried croissants (see my efforts in March 2017!), but only a couple of times despite how tasty they were. It's just a lot of work. So these Aberdeen butteries really appealed to me, in theory at least. So I banged out a batch of them. The first thing I realized was that it takes a LOT of butter. And some lard. So probably the ridiculous calorie content is a dealbreaker right there. Ah, well. But I had gotten started at that point, had my mise en place, ok, not really, but I did have all the ingredients. So I plowed forward. The dough is difficult to knead, extremely sticky. I suppose I could have added a bit more flour to make it work better. But I figure the wetter the better. It was almost impossible to flatten into a rectangle to smear the butter/lard mix on. Eventually it went in the oven. I peaked about halfway through and it looked pretty good, puffed up nicely. Then a bit after that the smoke. So much smoke. When I finally took it out there was a pool of butter on the parchment paper. There was more on the floor of the oven. What a mess. And so much smoke. Probably because it was rather poorly laminated. But I mean, that was kind of the point, croissant characteristics without the full lamination effort. So I have to clean the oven, which is kind of a pain. And it felt like half my fat leaked out, which is not the way it was supposed to go. I had a little metal dish in there to toss ice cubes in when I need steam for my bread and it literally had like a quarter inch of grease in it. Yuk.

But the rolls. Fooking delicious. And flaky. So buttery. And they looked kind of nice, too.

Sandwichspace 17

So this morning I grabbed one of those beasts and popped it open. Egg with sauteed spinach. I know, shocker. Whole foods grass-fed sausage patty. I mean, the flavor there was good, but the texture was miserable. Next up - super sharp provolone. Flavor was ok, maybe not ideal for this purpose. And the prov did not melt for crap. I'm not ruling out some thinner sliced sharp prov or something. But for this I'd say maybe 2/10. The roll itself was amazing, but the bottom was a little sodden. With butter probably. Not a good vehicle for future breakfast sammiches unless the end goal is coronary disease. But flaky, buttery, delish. 8/10. So good that I may circle back to this and retry with like, 16% of the butter.


Appearance 7/10 loved the look. 

Flavor 7/10 undeniably good, but this is not the one.

Sandwichspace 18

This evening I was thinking about these obscenely buttery rolls. Ok, admittedly I was thinking about them a lot of the day. So I shuffled together a breakfast sandwich for dinner. Buttery beast roll, sauteed spinach and egg scramble, deli thick sliced cheddar. To mix it up a bit, for meat I used a thick sliced turkey breast (not from the deli, sold as a loaf, Kentucky Legend brand). The turkey was really great, fit nicely for the task. It was thick enough to be noticeable, easy - I just threw it on the bun right out of the fridge, and tasty. And as far as potential breakfast meats go, it has to be one of the healthier ones. I'll give it an 8/10. This one really shocked me. A couple strips of roasted green chile which sat in the freezer for like a year. Good though, a definite plus.


Appearance 6/10 Despite the utter garbage picture - at least it was blurry at full size - the look was very respectable. This particular roll was a bit thinner so it came out with some slight holes in the top. 

Flavor 7/10 Roast turkey a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment