Sunday, September 22, 2024

Sandwichspace 21

 So I stopped at a famrers market Wednesday and bought a croissant wrapped in cellophane. $5, quite pricy, but I tend to feel good about spending money at a farmers market. And I had plans. Today is Sunday, and those plans came to fruition. With the croissant as a base, I threw the traditional sauteed spinach and scrambled egg, then mixed it up with 4 thin slices of pancetta. I cooked the pancetta for a bit, then put two thick slices of deli sharp cheddar on top. I cooked it until the cheese melted. Pancetta was nice, but I'm glad I used 4 slices as it was almost overwhelmed by the rest of the sandwich. 7/10. The croissant was so damn good, 9/10.


Appearance was really great, 8/10. I didn't like how tall it was, but it was so delicate that I crushed it down and it was perfect.

Flavor was top notch. Maybe the best yet. 9/10. The problem is, croissants are a huge pain in the ass to make. And this one was professionally made. Mine are, well, not that good, my best was about like this:

So although fantastic, I don't think croissants are the solution for a regular thing.

I note that at this point I have kind of settled in with sauteed spinach and scrambled eggs for my egg style. I will try other kinds or cooked eggs, and other add-ins as well. But I'm enjoying this for now, so I will keep at it. I am growing kale, but it's teensy tiny at the moment. I think even once I'd found the ideal sandwich, which seems like it will almost certainly be scrambled eggs, the ad-ins will vary from time to time. I haven't microwaved the eggs much, maybe at all during the sandwichspace testing, but that will likely be a go-to method of cooking.

The second component I keep returning to is thick-sliced deli sharp cheddar. I have tried many different cheeses over the last 55 years, and some are better than others. But I keep returning to sharp cheddar. It's just so good. And it melts nice. I'm not sure this will be the final choice cheese, but it sure seems like it.

So we're down to meat and bread. So far the meat has been less important than the rest. And too often lost in the mix flavor-wise. The best one so far has been thick frozen sausage patties maybe? But I definitely have more to explore. Possibilities - fried bologna, scrapple, pork roll, pepperoni, possibly various other lunch meats. Or maybe no meat at all if I'm convinced it doesn't add much except calories.

Bread is of course a big deal for me, I've made lot of different types, and just off the top of my head - pao de queijo, tortillas, English muffins, English toasting bread, brioche. 


No comments:

Post a Comment